NYSPHA Internship Opportunities
Our Fall 2020 internships have been filled. We will begin accepting applications for the Spring 2020 semester in October. These positions are 10-20 hours/week. A master's degree candidate is preferred but undergraduate students entering the field of public health will also be considered. These positions will work remotely with potential in-person meetings in Albany, NY.
- Public Health Event Planning & Communication Intern - working directly with the Executive Director and Director of Member Outreach and Communication to plan the annual Public Health Partnership Conference; develop communications for membership, public health e-news and website. Student receives a 1 year NYSPHA membership.
- Advocacy and Membership Outreach Intern- working directly with board members to plan an annual public health day of action, advocate for public health bills and funding; and develop communications for members to engage and retain memberships. Student receives a 1 year NYSPHA membership.
We also have various intern/volunteer projects available throughout the year for 5 hours/week. Below is a sampling. Please contact us to inquire about these opportunities.
NYSPHA Internship- PH Webinar Series Planning Project.pdf
NYSPHA Internship- Member Evaluation Project .pdf
-Please Note: All internships are unpaid-
Network with a diverse group of public health leaders
Complimentary 1-year membership to NYSPHA
Complimentary registration to attend NYSPHA's Annual Conference and Meeting
While preference is given to students local to Albany, NY, we do offer flexibility of working virtually
Potential Internship Projects:
Assist NYSPHA with logistics of planning for annual public health conference
- Assist in development of public health e-news for NYSPHA members, community and/or legislators
- Manage organization's social media channels to promote public health messaging
- Organizing advocacy day & participation in Policy & Advocacy Committee
- Assist in coordinating fall public health workshop
- Plan and implement events for National Public Health Week (April)
- Write, edit, submit stories/press release/letters on affiliate activities to The Nation's Health newspaper and/or other news outlets
- Participate in Membership Committee activities including College Chapter development
- Potential for grant writing
Student’s Role in Project:
- Assisting Executive Director and President by following business plan action steps and activities to meet expected outcomes. Student will have the opportunity to design public health newsletters and/or news blasts, organize and design public health workshops/conference; serve on Advocacy and Membership Committees; Plan public health outreach activities for National Public Health Week and via social media
Expected Student Outcomes and Deliverables:
Student will learn process of planning large conferences/meetings, organizing public health professionals and determine public health topics of interest for professionals; will learn strategies for cooperation and implementation of public health approaches to make changes in community regarding healthy eating/obesity/physical activity; and student will build networks with other public health professionals and organizations to further expand their knowledge of opportunities and activities taking place in New York state.
Project Duration and Scheduling Considerations:
Available for the start of each semester. May start earlier/extend longer as necessary. Flexible schedule available, as long as student maintains good contact/communication with mentor(s).
- Student must be enrolled in a public health, community health or related degree program. A minor in such programs will also be considered.
- Undergraduate students will be considered but preference will be given to students enrolled in a graduate degree program.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
As internships arise through both NYSPHA and our members, they will be emailed to all NYSPHA members and posted in the member section of our website. Please consider joining NYSPHA at the student rate of $25 for access to these announcements, discounts at our events, free webinars and more!