NYSPHA Policy and Advocacy
Welcome to the New York State Public Health Association's Policy and Advocacy Page. We appreciate your interest in health policy and hope that you will join us as we strive to make New York State the healthiest state in the country. NYSPHA's policy and advocacy agenda is developed and led by the Policy and Advocacy Committee (PAC). For more information or to get involved contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
New York State Public Health Association (NYSPHA) and New York State Association of County Health Officials (NYSACHO)
2019 Legislative Agenda
NYSPHA is the New York State affiliate of the American Public Health Association and serves as a statewide organization representing members from all disciplines of public health. NYSPHA’s mission is to promote and protect the public’s health through networking, professional development, advocacy and education.
NYSACHO represents the collective voice of local health departments in New York State. NYSACHO’s mission is to support, advocate for, and empower local health departments in their work to promote health and wellness to prevent disease, disability and injury throughout New York State.
Together, we support the following legislation to increase immunizations and reduce tobacco use:
Increasing Immunizations, Support Exclusion of Any Non-Medical Exemptions for Vaccines
1. A.2371/S.2994 (Dinowitz/Hoylman): AN ACT to repeal subdivision 9 of section 2164 of the public health law, relating to exemption from vaccination.
Reducing Tobacco Use, Vaping Among Youth, and Secondhand Smoke
1. A.47/S.428 (Rosenthal/Hoylman): AN ACT to amend the public health law, in relation prohibiting the sale and distribution of flavored e-liquid for use in e-cigarettes (should be amended to include all flavored tobacco products and flavored e-cigs).
2. A.389/S.592 (Galef/Carlucci): AN ACT to amend the public health law, in relation to enacting the “tobacco-free pharmacies act.”
3. A.2299/S.2655 (Dinowitz/Stavisky): AN ACT to amend the public health law, in relation to prohibiting smoking in certain outdoor areas.
4. A.4365/S.1148 (Rosenthal/Carlucci): AN ACT to amend the public health law, in relation to prohibiting the use of coupons or use of a “price reduction instrument” to lower the price of certain tobacco products.
NYSPHA & NYSACHO have concerns and recommendations regarding the Marijuana Regulation and Taxation Act:
A.1617/S.1527 (Peoples-Stokes/Krueger): Our members have serious concerns related to the adverse impact an adult-use regulated cannabis program will have on public health. If this legislation is passed, it is imperative that adequate resources and safeguards are provided, to ensure that public health professionals on the front lines will have the tools needed to best protect the public from a variety of serious risks.